A month ago I started experimenting with various VPS hosting solutions for this website. Well I now consider myself settled for the time being.
Here are a few of my findings for those that were interested. Nothing Delphi-related there.
Or a dozen. Or a whole flock.
I’ve now enabled CloudFlare as CDN, is it all it’s hyped up to be? Here is a small unscientific poll to give your feeling on how or if it affected the perceived speed of this website.
This is just a quick notice to let you know that I’ve recently moved this site to a new host (currently pulseheberg), and may move it to other hosts. My previous hosting was running out, and I’m taking this as an opportunity to experiment with various VPS offerings (Linux or Windows), change registrar, tweak DNS, etc.
Hopefully nothing will go wrong and it’ll be transparent, but if not, please let me know.
Time for a summer facelift!
This website is getting new responsive theme which is more mobile-device friendly and will hopefully load slightly faster. Truth be told, I was also getting tired of seeing the old look here and in 618965 other blogs and websites.
The DelphiTools.info website has just been relocated, it also transitioned from a Linux host to a Windows one.
There were a few glitches with WordPress during the transfer, but they should hopefully have been solved, if not, feel free to post about them here!
DelphiTools.info has been mobile-enabled thanks to WPtouch, it should now serve a version more friendly to Android-based devices, iPhone & others. The two Android apps hosted here have been updated with QR code links to the Android Market.
I’ve updated the GLScene.org main page with information on where you can find support newsgroups and forums, since the nntp newsgroup went down and are unlikely to come back up (thanks Paul Van Dinther, now from PlanetInAction, for the help in accessing the wiki).
There is something about WordPress that reminds me of Delphi, not the language or the IDE, but the spirit. On the one hand, its a convenient and comfortable environment out of the box, to which ready-made functionality can be easily added, and on the other hand everything under the hood is still accessible and tweakable without having to fork in a major way (like Delphi, unlike most of the rest of them).
Anyway, I’ve added support for printable versions of the articles here, thanks to Lester Chan’s WP-Print, a wee bit of CSS & php tweaking is all it took. Hopefully the dead-tree lovers that asked for it should be satisfied, as well as those few that manually tried to append a “/print” to the url 😉
This morning while debugging a statistical ichthyo-parser I stumbled upon what looked like a Delphi 2009 compiler bug: the compiler was outputting gibberish ASM opcodes… But after further investigations, it appeared this wasn’t completely gibberish, but that it was (somewhat) correct MSIL bytecode!